I can’t believe it’s already here. The release date was December 10th, and according to the interwebs, orders are being placed like crazy! Even though I had a disastrous go at P90X2 (i.e. injuring myself on day one and then never finding the motivation to attempt it again :S), I’m very excited about this new program. It has been quite a while since I’ve completed the many rounds of the original P90X, and though my activity level in general has shot way up with half-marathons, hiking, and other Beachbody fitness DVDs, P90X will always have a special hold on me. It was January 2010 when I decided to commit to the program and I completed my first round without missing a day. Success! I had awesome results, my nutrition changed completely, and I knew that going forward, fitness, health and athleticism would always be important in my life :). I continue to advocate for Beachbody programs because I know they work and can be truly life-changing.
And now it’s time to challenge myself again (and anyone else who wants to join!) with the same gusto as before. I’ve put my order in, and now I’m waiting patiently for its arrival. Until then, here are a few things I’ve learned about P90X3:
1. Workouts are exactly 30 minutes long, with the warm-up being the first two minutes. How awesome is that? After completing Focus T25, I’m loving the approach of completing intense workouts in a shorter period of time. And it’s 6 days a week. That’s only 3 hours a week of working out to get in the best shape of your life :).
2. P90X3 is for anyone, beginner or advanced. You do not need to complete P90X or P90X2 before conquering this program. It’s actually the opposite- according to Tony Horton, creator of the P90X series, P90X3 can actually set you up to have a stronger foundation for P90X and P90X2.
3. Some of the workouts include isometrics (strength/balance/flexibility), cardio with weights, and mixed martial arts. FUN!
4. The base system has 16 workouts, and the deluxe system includes 3 additional routines: Complete Upper Workout, Complete Lower Workout, and X3 Ab Ripper.
5. In the test group, 39 out of 40 people lost at least 10% of their body fat!
I’m curious to see the workout calendar. I believe there will be multiple goals from which to choose, whether that’s becoming lean, or building muscle. I’ve also decided to go with the Deluxe version for the extra workouts and the bands. My 2014 goals are in the formulating stages, but they centre around fitness and travel. The two are not mutually exclusive, and for me, travel is no longer a reason to pause the fitness and ‘let myself go’. The bands are easy to pack and will be great for those times away from my adjustable weight set.
Undoubtedly, this will be an awesome program. With the number of varied workouts, I think P90X3 will keep anyone interested and engaged for a full 90 days. And with 30 minutes a day, there are no excuses. We all lead busy lives, but carving out 30 minutes from the schedule to devote to working out is very doable and achievable. I can’t wait to get started!